The seasons are changing and with the cooler weather our eating habits usually change toward warming foods that actually help you to feel satisfied and also taste good. Easy Veggie Chili recipe meets both of those qualifications and it’s also healthy and good for you and your family.
This particular recipe for veggie chili recipe is easy and quick. Be aware that this recipe does make a small batch. You can double or triple the recipe for hearty and healthy lunches throughout the week. Substitute black beans or pinto beans or use a combination of your favorite beans.
For the “chili isn’t chili without meat” lovers in your family, feel free to include any type of organic/free-range meat. About a pound of meat (before cooking) for each batch of Easy Veggie Chili should be enough to satisfy the meat-lovers in your family.
Easy Veggie Chili Recipe
Serves 4 | Use organic ingredients, if available.
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons no-salt-added chili powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt added organic kidney beans (can also use organic pinto beans, black beans or a combination) rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sliced fresh jalapeño peppers (optional)
Heat a large sauce pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until beginning to brown and stick to the pan. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and most liquid has evaporated. Stir in chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, beans and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, about 30 minutes or until vegetables and beans are tender and sauce is thickened. Stir in black pepper. Serve with cilantro and jalapeños, optional. ENJOY!!
Per Serving:230 calories (10 from fat), 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (15g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 13g protein
Original Recipe: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/quick-and-easy-veggie-chili