Ah…Valentine’s Day. A day of love and an excuse to indulge in chocolate. For the true chocoholic, which includes a lot of people, just thinking about chocolate can bring about a pleasurable response. Who doesn’t think about indulging in a plate of scrumptious chocolate covered strawberries for a Valentine’s Day dinner? How much better these chocolate covered strawberries would be if the chocolate was made with healthy raw cacao! Now that your interest is peaked, let’s take it one step further by adding healthy toppings such as raw, unsweetened shredded coconut, dried goji berries, spicy roasted pumpkin seeds or even chopped raw pecans! The result is a healthy chocolate covered fruit DIY Valentine’s Day recipe! Your special Valentine will adore your creativity and absolutely love the deliciousness…promise!
Valentine’s Day Healthy Chocolate Covered Fruit
*Raw Chocolate Sauce Recipe
Gluten, egg, dairy, and refined sugar-free
(Always use organic ingredients when available.)
Makes approx 1/4 cup of sauce
- 4 Tb unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tb maple syrup (suggest Grade B)
- 3 Tb raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a small bow. Place into a pouring bottle.
- Place in fridge to allow to set and thicken a little.
- The more coconut oil you add, the more thick the syrup will be
- If the sauce is too cold and thickens up too much, simply place closed bottle into a bowl of hot water until it melts.
*You can also use 1-2 cups of vegan dark chocolate chips instead of the raw cacao powder. You will need to melt the chips on the stove using very low heat. Omit the maple syrup and vanilla. Use about 1 Tbsp of coconut oil per 1 1/2 cups chips.
WHAT ELSE YOU WILL NEED
Long-Stemmed Fresh Strawberries. You can also use cherries or other fruits that you like.
Toppings Such As
raw, unsweetened shredded coconut
dried goji berries
spicy roasted pumpkin seeds
chopped raw pecans
chopped nuts (wide variety of options – brazil, walnuts, macadamia nuts and more)
dried fruits (also a wide variety of ideas here)
DIRECTIONS FOR APPLYING TOPPINGS
1. Set up your topping station with shallow bowls filled with different toppings as well as your bowl of healthy chocolate. Wash and dry your berries. Be sure that the berries are totally dry – so the chocolate is able to stick.
2. Dip your berries into the chocolate then into the toppings. Lay them on a flat platter to cool while you continue dipping. Parchment paper or a lightly oiled surface works well for this.
3. Chill the finished berries in the fridge for at least an hour. Remove berries from fridge when ready to serve! Enjoy and have a Happy Vegan Valentine’s Day!!!