Constipation is a very common concern for many people and it seems to be getting worse as our health continues to deteriorate from a poor diet, lethargic lifestyle, and other bad habits. Unfortunately, constipation is more than just a nuisance or inconvenience. When waste is not regularly and efficiently eliminated from the bowel, it exposes your body to toxins which can lead to serious conditions such as colon cancer and other potentially life-threatening diseases. The good news is that regularity is a by-product of a lifestyle of wellness, and one can eliminate constipation, in most cases, through digestive tract cleansing, healthy diet, proper hydration, and getting plenty of exercise — things we should be doing anyway.
How do I Know if I Have a Constipation Concern?
In a perfect world everyone should experience at least three bowel movements daily. Some researchers estimate that 4-5 million Americans are diagnosed with constipation annually, but this figure is likely very low. Why? Simply because mainstream physicians just don’t get the importance of 2-3 bowel movements daily, and in fact, consider such a goal to be ridiculous. Some doctors actually tell their patients that moving their bowels once a week is normal and okay for them! No wonder colon cancer and bowel disease is on the rise.
The truth of the matter is that we were designed to quickly process the food we eat and eliminate the waste products promptly. In more primitive cultures — especially when their diet is primarily raw grains, fruits, and vegetables instead of processed and refined foods — it is common for people to eliminate about 20 minutes after every meal, an event that happens several times daily.
If you are not having bowel movements often enough, are suffering from hard stools and having to strain to move your bowels, or experiencing foul-smelling stools, it’s time to get concerned about the health of your bowel as this definitely qualifies as having a constipation concern. The subject of how to eliminate constipation without the use of toxic chemicals and harsh herbs should be important to you.
Major Causes of Constipation
There are many causes of constipation, and the damage caused by constipation can sometime be very difficult to repair. A permanently damaged bowel is called Hirschsprung’s disease — which means the nerves going to the bowel have been permanently damaged or destroyed. It’s a common disease affecting millions of people, however conventional doctors do not seem to diagnose it.
- Iron supplements
- Unhealthy diet — lack of fiber
- Lack of exercise
- Cancer treatments
- Low Thyroid Hormones
- Kidney malfunction
- Cough Syrup
- Heart Medication
- Calcium Carbonate Supplements — TUMS, etc.
The health of the bowel is a very good indicator of the condition of the entire body, and most cases of constipation are simply the result of poor lifestyle choices. Some of the best steps one can take to eliminate constipation include:
- Eat healthy: Eliminate junk food, unhealthy-fat/low-fiber foods, refined sugar, and processed foods. Fiber is absolutely necessary for good bowel health, and a diet high in raw foods, whole grains, and a variety of organic fruits and vegetables will be your colon’s best friend. You will not be constipated, and your bowel will be able to absorb a maximum amount of nutrients from the quality fuel you provide for your body.
- Stay hydrated: Many cases of constipation are solely due to dehydration. Be sure to drink 6-8 glasses of filtered water daily, and eliminate caffeinated beverages such as coffee and soft drinks.
- Exercise: Regular physical activity provides numerous healthful benefits, and preventing constipation is one of them. Exercise improves muscle tone and performance in the intestinal tract, allowing for more effective elimination of waste. Exercises to consider are walking, rebounding, Yoga and Tai-Chi.
- Don’t “put off” the urge: One key to regularity is to promptly move your bowels rather than postponing it until later. Allowing fecal matter to stay in your gut any longer than necessary only contributes to bowel compaction and constipation, and it enables toxins to enter the body and produce disease.
- Colon Cleansing: Regular use of an oxygen-based colon cleansing product such as Oxy-Powder® will help promote regularity and do wonders for the overall health of your digestive tract. It will help to clear and prevent the accumulation of waste, an issue that can cause constipation and lead to more serious bowel disorders. I and my family have personally used this product for many years and I have also seen the success it brings to clients suffering from constipation.
- Use a spore-bearing probiotic: Much of the action in the digestive tract, both absorption of nutrients and elimination waste, is made possible by the presence of beneficial bacteria. One cause of constipation and other bowel concerns is a lack of such flora, often due to the overuse of antibiotic drugs. Supplementation with a quality probiotic is a powerful way to keep your bowel healthy.
- Eliminating stress: Stress is very destructive to both mind and body, and constipation can be caused by stress. Learning how to deal with the stresses of modern life is a huge step towards wellness. Suggestions for combating stress include prayer and meditation, relaxation techniques, EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), exercise, deep breathing and plenty of quality sleep, to name a few.
Because Laughter Is The Best Medicine – Here’s a constipation joke that you can share with your family and friends.
All the organs of the body were having a meeting, trying to decide who was in charge.
The brain said: “I should be in charge, because I run all the body’s systems, so without me nothing would happen.”
“I should be in charge,” said the heart, “because I pump the blood and circulate oxygen all over the body, so without me you’d all waste away.”
“I should be in charge,” said the stomach, “because I process food and give all of you energy.”
“I should be in charge,” said the colon, “because I’m responsible for waste removal.”
All the other body parts laughed at the colon and insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight. Within a few days, the brain had a terrible headache, the stomach was bloated, and the blood was toxic.
Eventually the other organs gave in. They all agreed that the colon should be the boss.