I must confess that I have a morning coffee addiction. There’s just something about holding a hot cup of great tasting coffee in my hand shortly (and I mean shortly) after I crawl out of bed. Wanting to completely give up the organic milk that I had been using, I decided to once-and-for-all find an alternative milk that would make my morning coffee delicious and healthy. In the past, I had purchased just about every type of packaged nut milk on the market and in most of the offered flavors. While I often use almond or coconut milk in baking, I just didn’t like the taste of either in my morning cup-of-joe. Until I read about cashew nut milk…
I had not tried making nut milk at home because I thought it would be much too time consuming. Needless to say, I am a bit surprised to say that it is not time-consuming and that homemade cashew nut milk is definitely a tasty winner. The delicious flavor is mild, creamy and slightly sweet. And making it with a Vitamix doesn’t require using a nut milk bag to strain the mixture. For me, that is a huge plus! Below is my homemade dairy-free cashew nut milk recipe. Try it in your morning coffee or tea and let me know if it becomes a fav.
DAIRY-FREE CASHEW NUT MILK RECIPE
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups filtered water, plus water for soaking
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Cover cashews with filtered water and soak overnight.
- Rinse and drain cashews.
- Add cashews, 4 cups filtered water, vanilla and honey to Vitamix.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes. Be sure to set your timer.
- Transfer to a glass pitcher and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Remember to stir or shake well before each serving.