Grilled Summer Veggie Fajitas
(Use vegetables from your garden, local farmer’s market or buy organic.)
- 1 red onion, peeled & thickly sliced
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded & halved
- 2 tomatoes, de-stemmed and halved
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup organic olive oil
- 8 organic flour or spinach tortillas (8″ diameter)
- 1/2 cup shredded organic Monterey jack cheese
- 11/2 cups (cooked) red kidney beans, rinsed, drained and heated
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup mild or medium-hot prepared salsa
- 1/2 cup organic sour cream
Clean and prepare onion, zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes and corn, as directed. Bring pot of water to boil, add salt. Blanch zucchini and bell pepper separately for about one minute for each. Do not overcook. Remove zucchini and bell pepper with a slotted spoon and drain well in a colander and then on paper towels.
In a large bowl, lightly coat zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes with olive oil. Place oiled vegetables on hot grill, 7 inches above gray flaming coals, if using charcoal. Place corn on the cob on grill at the edge of hottest part of grill. Turn vegetables to ensure grill marks on all sides. Grill vegetables just until crisp-tender for zucchini, bell pepper and corn and until tomatoes become slightly soft and heated through, approximately 6–8 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap tortillas in foil and heat for 3 to 5 minutes, just until warm. Arrange tortillas, cheese, beans, cilantro, salsa and sour cream for easy serving.
Remove grilled vegetables and slice zucchini, bell pepper and tomatoes to bite-size. Slice corn kernels from cob and transfer all grilled vegetables to a large platter.
Invite guests to spoon vegetables onto tortillas; add beans, cilantro, salsa, sour cream and cheese as desired. Roll up tortillas and enjoy!s