Enjoy this lighter, more healthful version of the conventional mayonnaise-laden macaroni salad. Made natural by using organic ingredients, whole grain or gluten-free macaroni, a small amount of expeller pressed mayonnaise and raw apple cider vinegar, this delightful salad boasts a bit of crunch from the celery and shallot. Your choice of optional ingredients, such as cubed cheese or diced ham, can make this a signature dish.
- 1 lb (dry) whole wheat elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup organic celery, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen organic peas, thawed
- 1 jar (4-oz) sweet pimentos, drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or expeller pressed canola oil
- 1/4 cup natural mayonnaise
- 1–2 TB raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 tsp honey
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
Additional Ingredients (select any)
- cubed cheddar cheese
- cubed cooked tempeh
- sweet pickle relish or chopped dill pickles
- fresh herbs
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
Ingredient Options: use spelt elbows instead of whole wheat.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Combine the pasta, celery, peas and pimentos in a large serving bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, shallot, salt and pepper. Toss into the salad. Adjust seasonings, adding more vinegar, honey, salt or pepper, as desired.
Nutrition Info (without additional ingredients)
Per Serving (121g-wt.): 340 calories (120 from fat), 13g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 5g dietary fiber, 9g protein, 48g carbohydrate, 5mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium