Push your easy-to-make-button and do a happy dance. These irresistibly delicious vegetarian black bean burgers can be made and shaped ahead of time and then cooked when you’re ready to eat. Filled with nutrient dense ingredients, black bean burgers tic high on the health ruler…shhhhh…don’t tell your kids.
Perfect for a summer dinner on the patio, a rainy evening inside or as sliders for your Super Bowl Sunday party, vegetarian black bean burgers can be flavored in just about any way in which your family likes. Try adding jalapeños, green bell peppers, gluten-free Panko bread crumbs, Ezekiel bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, frozen-organic corn, cumin, organic tomatoes with green chilies, fresh garlic, etc. The possibilities are endless. Also, for a vegan recipe you can substitute the egg with 1 tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp water.
Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers Recipe
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added organic black beans, rinsed, drain and dry as much as possible
- 1 free-range egg
- 1/2 organic yellow onion, chopped (may saute with fresh minced garlic before adding to mixture)
- 1/2 – 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (our family likes 1/2 cup best)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granules (leave out if sauteing fresh garlic with onion – see above)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive or coconut oil
- 6 gluten-free hamburger buns (you will need about sixteen if you’re making sliders)
- 6 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 organic tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 small organic red onion, sliced thinly
- guacamole slices (slice right before serving)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put beans in a large bowl and mash well with a fork or use a food processor. Add egg, yellow onion, bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix well to combine. Shape into 6 patties. For best results, refrigerate for an hour before frying/baking.
Frying – Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange patties in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
Baking – bake them in an oven in an oiled pan covered on 350, then remove the covering once things are warm. Baking the patties will give a nice texture and no frustration by patties that crumble in the pan and refuse to hold together.
Transfer patties to buns, top with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions and guacamole slices. Serve and enjoy!
A Delicious Addition to the Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers Recipe
These Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Chips will compliment the Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers! They are a definite score with children and adults and…they are healthy!
Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
2 small or 1 large sweet potato
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pepper (to taste)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Peel sweet potatoes &thinly slice crosswise into 3/8 inch thick slices. If you have a mandoline, use it. Place the sweet potato slices in a bowl. Add olive oil, cayenne pepper & salt/pepper to taste. Mix well. Spread the slices out on a baking pan in a single layer. Bake about 12 minutes on each side. Carefully check to make sure the smaller or thinner pieces don’t burn.
Recipe from: www.chowvegan.com